Visiting reception venues can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know what questions to ask. Here is a great list of questions to help you find the best possible venue:
- What dates are available in the month I’m considering?
- How many people can each space accommodate?
- What is the rental fee and what is included in that price? Is there a discount for booking an off-season date or Sunday through Friday?
- What are the deposit terms? When is it due and is it refundable? What’s the payment plan for the rest of the bill?
- Is there space to hold a ceremony? Is there an additional charge? Is the ceremony site close to the reception site? Is there a bride’s changing area?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- What’s your weather contingency plan for outdoor spaces?
- How many hours do I get the space? Is there a fee if I stay longer? Is there a minimum or maximum rental time?
- Are there decoration guidelines/restrictions? Can I move things around or do I have to leave everything as is? Can I use real candles?
- How much time will I have for décor setup?
- house caterer or do I have the option of using an outside caterer? If I hire my own caterer, are kitchen facilities available for them?
- Are tables, linens, chairs, plates, silverware and glassware provided?
- Can I bring in a cake or must I use a cake made on the premises? Is there a cake-cutting fee? If I use a cake made on site is the fee waived? Do you provide special cake-cutting utensils?
- Are you licensed to provide alcohol service? If so, is alcohol priced per person? By consumption? Are there additional charges for bar staff? Is there a bar minimum that must be met before the conclusion of the event? What is the average bar tab for the number of people attending my event?
- Can I bring my own wine, beer or champagne, and is there a corkage fee if I do? Can I bring in other alcohol?
- Are there restrictions on what kind of music I can play, or a time by which the music must end? Can the venue accommodate a DJ or live band?
- Is there parking on site? If so, is it complimentary? Do you offer valet parking, and what is the charge? If there is no parking on site, where will my guests park? Are cabs easily accessible from the venue? ? If a shuttle service is needed, can you assist with setting it up?
Owner of Always Flawless Productions